Monday, January 18, 2010

Parental Advice

It happens with every major life change....people giving advice.

In our current situation, we'll take any helpful hints we can get. We're reading books on parenting and seeking advice from our parents, other people's parents, doctors, social workers, etc.

After a few nights of the bedtime battle, I emailed the social worker from our adoption agency for some guidance, thinking that other adoptive parents have had similar difficulties. Her advice was to avoid caffeine and feed them turkey before bed. It was a good thing we asked because for three nights we had been giving the boys bottles of Dr. Pepper before bed. No wonder we've had such problems.

My favorite advice, however, came from the book, "Parenting with Love and Logic" (thanks Nash's for the book - I really do like it...despite the fact that I'm about to make fun of it slightly). They give practical examples for different situations. In one section of the book they talk about the importance of modeling behavior, and in this case, taking care of yourself so your kids will grow up knowing how to take care of themselves. I'm storing this statement in my parenting arsenal and waiting for just the right time to use it.

When your child continually asks for you to do something you say "I'm sorry, but doing things for you is putting a dark cloud on my haze of happiness so I'm choosing not to do it this time."

I just know it's going to be very effective. Feel free to borrow it if you need to. I think it could work in many different situations - with co-workers, spouses, pets. Let me know how it goes.

4 comments:

jenny said...

I hate when people put a dark cloud on my haze of happiness...

heather M. said...

Isn't it funny how the advice just starts to come out of the woodwork like crazy?! :) I do use the love & logic, but only little bits of it and a lot of it is pretty cheesy! And I'm glad that someone told you to stop w/ the caffeine at night...I mean really Kim what were you thinking? *wink*

Tim James said...

So this 'haze of happiness' is a good thing? Not a very flattering image to me. But I guess when combined with the dust cloud of contentment, and the smog of joy, the haze of happiness contributes greatly to the overall overcast of fulfillment (until the dark clouds, of course). Thanks for sharing, I've got a presentation tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it works to discourage probing questions.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Didn't anyone teach you caffeine fiends about the dangers of caffeine for young children? : ) I wonder how "putting a dark cloud on my haze of happiness" translates into the boy's first language? You may want to try practicing it both ways just to make sure your message is effectively communicated. : )

Carrie

Post a Comment